369 Franklin St., Buffalo, NY 14202 • Click for Google Maps
According to the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS No. NY-6297), the Cyclorama Building was built in three short months, opening September 8, 1888. At the time, cyclorama buildings were popping up around the world as a form of entertainment, their purpose to house 'cycloramas,' or panoramic art dispays .
Buffalo's first cyclorama painting hung 50 feet high by 400 feet long in a circular fashion inside the interior walls. There were no windows nor interior walls to the original structure, only skylights and lanterns were used to illuminate the painting as a docent described the scene. The original show, "View of Jerusalem on the Day of the Crucifixion of Christ," drew thousands of visitors daily for the two years it ran . The next show, "The Battle of Gettysburg," ran for another two years. Soon, cycloramas lost popularity. In 1907 the building was aquired by the City of Buffalo and used as a roller skating rink, livery and taxi garage. In 1937 it fell under such disrepair the building was condemned.
Later that year the building was taken over by the Public Works Administration. Five years later the building opened as an annex to the Grovsner Library Reading Room, with newly installed windows and upates to the floors and ceiling. For 21 years the reading room hosted lectures, studying students, and library patrons, including the Schillers and Mr. Lumsden, while studying for his CPA exam.
In red, the floorplan of the Grovsner Library Reading Room circa 1957. In black, Lumsden McCormick's floor plan circa 2012.
After closing this branch of the library, the building once again stood vacant until 1985 when Frank Ciminelli purchased the building. With careful attention to preserving the building, a second floor was added and the Cyclorama Building became the offices of Ciminelli Construction Company.
View of the Cyclorama building looking southeast circa 1985, 2012.
Today, Buffalo's Cyclorama Building is one of three remaining cycloramas in the country. A version of "View of Jerusalem on the Day of the Crucifixion of Christ" exists in Quebec's Cyclorama of Jeruselm and "The Battle of Gettysburg" may be seen at the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center. Lumsden McCormick moved into the Historic Cyclorama Building in September of 2012.
In the spring of 2014 Eddie Dobosierwicz did a piece on this historic Buffalo landmark on WKBW-TV's Queen City Chronicles, reairing in January of 2015:
We now have a reproduction of the original poster from the building's opening in our vestibule. Special thanks to the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library for making the print available to us.
 HABS No. NY-6297; Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey: Cyclorama Building, 369 Franklin Street, Buffalo, Erie County, NY http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ny1591/
 The Cyclorama Building; Meg Healy http://www.buffaloah.com/a/franklin/369/